Welcome to the Punpedia entry on fruit puns! 🍇🍈🍉🍒🍋🍌🍍🍎 Whether you’re devising the perfect birthday wish, crafting a photo caption, formulating some fruity pickup lines, or want to send a cute message to your partner, I hope this entry serves you well. There’s everything from berry puns, to melon puns, to puns about fruit-related concepts (pit, zest, etc.), and even some super cheesy fruit jokes to top it off.
Below the “fruit puns list” section, there’s a big list of fruit-related phrases/idioms that you can use for puns as well. If you’re looking for puns about fruit that are in image-form, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
You might also like to visit the Punpedia entries on vegetable puns, food puns, banana puns, apple puns, nut puns, avocado puns and watermelon puns.
Fruit Puns List
Each item in this list describes a pun, or a set of puns which can be made by applying a rule. If you know of any puns about fruit that we’re missing, please let us know in the comments at the end of this page!
- Pulp: As in “He got beaten to a pulp.”
- Fruitful: As in “This has been a very productive and fruitful discussion.”
- Seed: As in “But it planted a seed of hope.” and “We got more seed capital from investors.”
- Pit: As in “I sank down into a pit of despair.” and “I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.” (“Pit” is another term for seed or “pip”)
- Juice: As in “I’ve ran out of juice (energy)” and “Turn on the juice and let’s see if it runs (electricity)”
- Just → Juiced: As in “I’m juiced around the corner.” and “Juiced in time.” and “Juiced the ticket.” and “Juiced this once.”
- Current→ Currant: As in “Swimming against the currant.”
- Apple: A simple fruit pun could be made if you can work Apple, the company, into what you are saying somehow.
- Piece → Peach: As in “Just make sure you get home in one peach.” and “We were made for peach other.”
- Each → Peach: As in “Peach to her/his own.” and “Yeah, he’s a nasty peach of work.”
- Honey, do → Honey, dew: As in “Honey, dew or dew not, there is no try.” or “Honey, dew you know where my keys are?”
- Fruity: Other than referring to actual fruit, this term also has several slang definitions including being flamboyant or “bouncy”. It may also refer to someone who is considered crazy in some respect.
- Fruit cake: This term is often used as a synonym for someone who is “one sandwich short of a picnic”, that is, someone who is crazy. Please note that it is also a slang derogatory synonym for “homosexual” in some countries/regions, so be careful using this!
- Speechless → S-peach-less: As in “You’ve left me s-peach-less“
- Reason → Raisin: As in “You’re being unraisinable.” and “Let’s use logic and raisin.”
- Raising → Raisin: As in “We’re raisin the roof!” and “Raisin two kids as a single mother is hard.” and “They just keep raisin taxes!”
- Elder → Elderberry: As in “I was told to respect my elderberries.”
- Date: A “date” is a type of dried fruit, but it obvious has some more common meanings to: “This is my first blind date.” and “Save the date!”
- Prune: Other than referring to a dried plum, a “prune” can refer to an unpleasant or disagreeable person.
- Knack → Snack: As in “Here, let me try, there’s a bit of a snack to it.”
- Plumb → Plum: The term “plumb” has several meanings including “exactly”, “vertical” and “to install plumbing pipes and fittings”. A common idiom “plumb the depths” could also be used in your fruity puns: “Plum the depths of the criminal mind.”
- Figure: As in “I think I’ve figured it out.” and “Go figure.” (Also works for figurative, figment, figurine, figures and figurehead)
- Line → Lime: As in “But where do you draw the lime?” and “Drop me a lime.”
- I’m → Lime: As in “Can you hold this until lime ready?” and “Lime falling in love.” (Works best if the word before “lime” ends in an “L”)
- Very → Berry: As in “These are berry bad fruit puns.”
- Very → Cherry: As in “It happened right before my cherry eyes.” and “I love you cherry much :)”
- Have a → Guava: As in “He doesn’t guava clue!” and “I guava bone to pick with you.” and “I guava soft spot for fruit puns.”
- During → Durian: As in “Many lost their jobs durian the course of the recession.” (Very cheesy! By the way, durians are a type of tropical fruit)
- Antelope → Cantaloupe: As in “My favourite animals are deer and cantaloupe.”
- Can’t elope → Cantaloupe: As in “I’d run away and marry you, but I cantaloupe – my parents would never forgive me.” (“Cantaloupe” is another name for rock-melon. “Elope” means to run away to get married, usually without parental consent.)
- Papa → Papaya: As in “She asked her parents, but her papaya won’t let her go to the party.”
- Granted → Pomegranate: As in “Don’t take me for pomegranate.” (Terrible! :P)
- Person → Persimmon: As in “I’ve never met her in persimmon.” and “We’re still tracking down persimmons of interest.” (a very corny one :D)
- Peer → Pear: As in “Don’t give in to pear pressure.” and “Bit-torrent is a a pear-to-pear network.”
- Pair → Pear: As in “A fresh pear of eyes.”
- Per* → Pear*: Words that start with “per” can be made into silly little pear puns: pearformance, pearcentage, peariod, pearmission, pearsonal, pearfect, pearhaps, pearform, pearsuade, pearspective, pearsonality, pearception, pearmanent, pearceived, pearsuaded, pearmanently, pearipheral, pearimeter, pearsist, pearsecution, pearmit, pearpetuate, pearsistance, peariodically, pearvert, pearceptual, pearplexity, pearfectionist, pearpendicular, pearmission, pearents. See this list for more.
- There → Pear: As in “I’ll be pear in spirit.” and Don’t just sit pear!” and “Hang in pear, pal.” and “Let pear be light!” and “Neither here, nor pear.” and “Pear’s no excuse.” and “Pear’s no smoke without fire.” and “Pear’s plenty more fish in the sea.” and “Pear’s something amiss…”
- Jam: As in “This is my jam!” and “We just finished our jam session.” and “The venue was jam-packed.”
- Arrange → Orange: As in “I’ve oranged an interview for tomorrow evening.”
- Bananas: As in “I am bananas for you.” and “He’s going bananas!”
- Aren’t you → Orange you: As in “Orange you glad to see me?”
- Bury → Berry: As in “Don’t berry your feelings.” and “We berried it under that tree.”
- Zest: As in “She has such a zest for life!” (“Zest” is the outer coloured part of citrus fruit peel that is used for flavouring)
- Best → Zest: A corny one! Examples: “Zest friends forever.” and “Laughter is the zest medicine.”
- Beside her → Be cider: “I sat down be cider and we talked for hours.”
- Million → Melon: As in “You’re one in a melon!” and “Not in a melon years!”
- Killing → Kiwing: As in “Oh god these jokes are kiwing me!”
- Great → Grape: As in “No challenge is too grape.” and “I’ve gone to grape length to compile these puns.”
- Grateful → Grapeful: As in “I’m very grapeful for your assistance.”
- Tango → Mango: As in “Well, it takes two to mango.”
- Melancholy → Meloncholy: As in “An air of meloncholy surrounded him.”
- Peachy: This term can mean “fine or excellent” and so it’s a simple and easy peach pun: “Oh, that’s just peachy!”
- Sublime: A sneaky and easy lime pun: “The view from the summit was sublime!”
- Core: As in “I am strengthening my core” (A reference, of course, to apple cores and to the “core” in human anatomy)
- Score: “Let’s settle this score once and for all.” and “Are you keeping score?”
- Bunch: As in “Thanks a bunch.” and “Pick of the bunch.” (In case you missed it, the pun here is on fruit that grow in “bunches” like grapes and bananas)
- Passion: As in “You have such a passion for life.” and “I’m really passionate about what I do.” (A play on “passion fruit”)
- Punch: As in “He punched that guy’s lights out.” and “That packed a punch.” (A play on “fruit punch”)
- Feel → Peel: As in “I’m not peeling well.” and “These fruit puns are making me peel unwell.” (A play on “fruit peel”, “peeling a banana”, etc.)
- Peel: This word is sometimes used in ways which don’t refer to removing an outer covering: “The aeroplane peeled off from the rest of the formation and did a trick.” In general “peel off/out” means to move away quickly (especially with screeching tires, if it refers to a car).
- Appealing → Appeeling: “He’s so appeeling!” and “The court allowed one final appeel.” and “You need to appeel to their sense of honour.”
- Appalling → Appleling: “This is an apple pun and it is appleling“
- Naval → Navel: As in “The navel base is situated on this small island.” (A navel is a type of orange)
- Blend: As in “That building doesn’t blend with its surroundings.”
- Smooth(ly) → Smoothie: As in “That went down fairly smoothie.” and “Smoothie sailing.”
- Mandarin: As in “I’m learning to speak mandarin.” (Playing on the mandarin/mandarine fruit)
- Man, go → Mango: As in “Hey mango pick on someone else.”
- Ugly→ Ugli: As in “Ugli duckling.” and “This person has an ugli heart.” (Ugli is an orange/grapefruit/tangarine hybrid)
- Ripe: As in “Ripe old age.” and “Ripe for the picking.”
- Gripe→ Grape: As in “I have several grapes about what you’ve just said.”
- Punnet: A punnet is a small basket/container for fruits and vegetables. This is a sort of “meta” fruit pun.
- Shoot→ Fruit: As in, “Don’t fruit the messenger” and “Eat’s fruits and leaves” and “Green fruits of recovery” and “Just fruit me” and “Fruit ’em up” and “Fruit down in flames” and “Fruiting hoops” and “Fruit me now” and “Fruit the breeze” and “Straight fruiter” and “A straight fruiter.”
- Fright→ Fruit: As in, “Fruitened of your own shadow” and “A fruitful mess” and “Take fruit.”
- Suit→ Fruit: As in, “All over him like a cheap fruit” and “At a price to fruit your pocket” and “Follow fruit” and “Men in fruits” and “Fruits you down to a tee” and “Fruit yourself.”
- *fut* → *fruit*: As in, “Think about your fruiture” and “Resistance is fruitile!” and “A fruituristic building” and “Sleeping on the fruiton” and “An irrefruitable argument.” Other words that could work: refruit (refute) and fruitility (fruitility).
- Frat* → Fruit*: As in, “Fruiternity house” and “Fruiternal twins” and “Fruiternising with the enemy.”
- Fret* → Fruit*: Fruitting (fretting), fruitwork (fretwork) and fruitful (fretful). Note: fretwork is a type of ornamental carving. This could work especially well for making puns about carved fruit decorations that are on cakes (very specific, we know).
- Got a fruit pun that we don’t? Please post it in the comments below! 🙂
Common phrases, idioms and cliches which are related to fruit can be used for some subtle and witty word play. Here is a list of the fruit themed phrases that we’ve found so far:
- apple of my eye
- if life gives you lemons, make lemonade
- comparing apples to oranges
- slice the melon
- upset the apple-cart
- brown as a berry
- the big apple
- blow a raspberry
- bottomless pit
- it’s the pits
- heard it through the grapevine
- hog the limelight
- he’s a bubble shy of plumb
- go bananas
- get the pip
- how do you like them apples?
- an apple a day keeps the doctor away
- a rotten apple spoils the barrel
- it’s all cut and dried
- keep your eyes peeled
- live to a ripe old age
- make like a banana and split
- pop one’s cherry
- lose your cherry
- sour grapes
- an apple never falls far from the tree
- the best thing since little apples
- the time is ripe
- two grapes short of a fruit salad
- a double date
- a blind date
- cheap date
- date with destiny
- dinner date
- a partridge in a pear tree
- adam’s apple
- agent orange
- apple of discord
- apple polish
- as american as an apple pie
- as nutty as fruit cake
- bad apple
- banana republic
- be fruitful and multiply
- bear fruit
- blow a raspberry
- bring up to date
- cherry pick
- cherry on top of the cake
- cherry top
- don’t give a fig
- easy peasy lemon squeezy
- forbidden fruit
- fruits of your labour
- fruits of your loins
- it’s all gone pear shaped
- in the grip of the grape
- juice of the grape
- low hanging fruit
- out of date
- peel me a grape
- play gooseberry
- seed capital
- seed money
- the milk in the coconut
- the tree is known by its fruit
- top banana
- up to date
- plum out of luck
There are many more puns to be made than could be documented in this Punpedia entry, and so we’ve compiled a list of fruit-related concepts for you to use when creating your own puns. If you come up with a new pun, please share it in the comments!
apple, apricot, banana, berry, berries, bilberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, blueberry, boysenberry, currant, cherry, cherimoya, cloudberry, coconut, cranberry, custard apple, damson, date, dragonfruit, durian, elderberry, feijoa, fig, goji berry, gooseberry, grape, raisin, grapefruit, guava, honeyberry, huckleberry, jabuticaba, jackfruit, jambul, jujube, juniper berry, kiwi, kumquat, lemon, lime, loquat, longan, lychee, mango, marionberry, melon, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, miracle fruit, mulberry, nectarine, nance, orange, blood orange, clementine, mandarin, tangerine, papaya, passionfruit, peach, pear, persimmon, physalis, plantain, plum, prune, pineapple, plumcot, pomegranate, pomelo, purple mangosteen, quince, raspberry, salmonberry, rambutan, redcurrant, salal berry, salak, satsuma, star fruit, strawberry, tamarillo, tamarind, ugli fruit, yuzu, stone fruit, bunch, nutrition, fruity, raisin, agriculture, orchard, frugivore, frugivorous, peel, juice, avocado, dried, fruitful, fruit tree, fruit bowl, fruit basket, granny smith, apple juice, orange juice, grape juice, citrus, seed, core, pit, pip, fruit cake, melon, fresh, ripe, ripened.
If you’re looking for some very corny fruit jokes, you’ve come to the right place. All of these one-liner-style fruit jokes use puns in their punchline. Some are phonetic puns, others are based on a slang phrase or cliche related to fruit.
- How do you make a strawberry shake? – Put it in the freezer!
- What is a vampire’s favourite fruit? – A neck-tarine!
- What school subject is the fruitiest? – History, because it’s full of old dates!
- What fruit teases you a lot? – A Ba na..na..na-na..na!
- What kind of apple has a short temper? – A crab apple.
- What happens to grapes when you step on them? – They wine!
- Why did the banana go to the doctor? – Because it wasn’t peeling well!
- What did the apple skin say to the apple? – I’ve got you covered.
- Why did the tomato go out with a prune? – Because he couldn’t find a date!
- Why did the woman get fired from the orange juice factory? – She couldn’t concentrate!
- Why did the man get thrown out of the banana factory? – Because he kept throwing the bent ones out!
- Where do baby fruits sleep? – In apricots.
- What is a navy officer’s favourite fruit? – Naval oranges!
- What do you call two banana peels? – A pair of slippers
- Why did the grape stop in the middle of the road? – She ran out of juice!
- Why were the apples and oranges alone? – The banana split!
Fruit Pun Images
Below is a collection of fruit-related visual puns and meme-type images. If you’ve created your own visual fruit puns or found one that we’ve missed, please post us a link in the comments section 🙂
Did this Punpedia entry help you?
Did you find the fruit-related pun that you were looking for? If so, great! Otherwise, please let us know what you were looking for in the comments, below! Are you looking for puns for text messages, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, or some other social media platform? Would you like to see more funny fruit pun images? Or perhaps you just want more fruit puns for your photo captions? Whatever the case, please let us know, and help us improve this Punpedia entry. If you’re got any fruit puns (image or text) that aren’t included in this article, please submit them in the comments and one of our curators will add it as soon as possible. Thanks for visiting Punpedia 🙂
User-Submitted Fruit Puns:
Come what –>Cumquat: “Although life may not be a bowl of cherries, you will always be the apple of my eye, cumquat may!
Apple –> Apple-priate (appropriate) : “I think these puns are applepriate for the occasion”
Beet → Beat: As in, “He was beeten up!” and “Nothing beets it!”
man go ; mango : If you love him, don’t let that mango!
Applaud -> Apple-aud: “I apple-aud your efforts!”
Grateful –> Grapeful: “I’m so grapeful for you.” or “Aren’t you grapeful?”
Here are my puns:
My puns are cherry bad,but don’t consider them appleling.
I peel that the time is ripe to make fruit puns.
The punnet is full. My berry grape puns have filled it.
What do you call an orange working for the Navy? A navel.
Don’t move ’til lime cutting the lime.
In a melon years,my puns will be forgotten.
Your self-esteem is sublime!
Why are my puns kiwing me?
What an ugli alarm sound!
You’re my pearfect pear!
I’m so grapeful that you managed to save the world.
My only grape is that you have an annoying voice.
Don’t take your life for pomegranate!
I wish I could smoothie float in the sky.
His cousin is a melonholic.