This entry is all about squid! As you’ll notice, the majority of squid puns are just seeing how many words you can fit “squid” into without completely destroying the original phonetics.
As with all entries on Punpedia, if you’ve got a great squid pun, you can post it in the comments and one of our curators will add it to this entry.
Squid Puns List
Each item in this list of squid puns is either a simple word-swap (e.g. kidding → squidding) or it may be a general rule from which multiple puns can be made. In the case of general rules, the asterisks sign (*) represents one or more letters.
- Inkling: As in “I have an inkling that he’s lying.”
- Inc* → Ink*: Most words that starts with “inc” can be turned into an squid pun (because most squid can release ink). You can use this list of words starting with “inc” to invent your own. Here are some examples: inklude, inkrease, inkome, inkorporate, inklusion, inkur, inkredible, inkonvenience, inkapable, inkompetence, inkubate, inkursion, inkumbent, inkorrect, inkonsistency, inkoherence, inkerceration, inkrements, inkonspicuous, inkarnate, incapacitated.
- Kid → Squid: As in “Yeah, she is the smartest squid in her class.”
- Kidding → Squidding: As in “I was just squidding!”
- Kid* → Squid*: Generalising the above pun, the prefix “kid” can be replaced with “squid” as follows: squidding (kidding), squidnapped (kidnapped), squidney (kidney), squid (kid).
- ?id* → Squid*: If a word begins with “?id” where ‘?’ represents any letter, then this prefix can sometimes be replaced with “squid”. For example: squiddle (middle), squidlife crisis (midlife crisis), squidget (midget), squiddle (riddle), squidiculous (ridiculous), squideotape (videotape), squiddish (yiddish), squidth (width), squidow (widow), squidget (widget).
- Cracking → Kraken: As in “Hahaha you’re kraken me up!”
- Bid → Squid: As in “I squid you farewell!”
- Bidder → Squider: As in “The vase with go the the highest squidder.”
- Did → Squid: As in “I squid not eat the cookie! He’s lying!”
- Didn’t → Squidn’t: As in “I squidn’t mean to bother you.”
- Ten tickles → Ten-tickles: As in “Surely ten-tickles would make anyone laugh?”
- *s quit → *s squid: If the word “quit” follows a word ending in “s” it could work as a squid pun: “The main reason smokers squid is because of family pressure.” and “Quit means squid!”
- Quid → Squid: As in “Mate, you still owe me 10 squid from that bed the other night.” The term “quid” is slang for “pound” or “dollar” depending on the region.
- Accidentally → Acsquidentally: As in “I acsquidentally dropped my plate.”
- Acidification → Asquidification: As in “This farming land has been ruined by asquidification.”
- Incidentally → Insquidentally: As in “The drugs was discovered only insquidentally after their arrest.”
- Assiduously → Asquiduously: As in “He assquiduously cleaned every nook and cranny.”
- Coincidentally → Coinsquidentally: As in “Do you know his name, coinsquidentally?”
- Subsidiary → Subsquidiary: As in “No, it’s a subsquidiary of that company.”
- Reconsider → Reconsquider: As in “Please, I beg you to reconsquider.”
- Insidious → Insquidious: As in “The insquidious erosion of rights and liberties.”
- Bleak → Beak: As in “The outlook is beak.”
As you can see our squid puns list is still quite short! If you’d like to help us out, the following squid-related words still need puns: calamari, cephalopod, beak, dibranchate, leviathan, ink sac, tentacles, decapod, octapod. If you come up with any puns for these words, or any other squid-themed words, please share them in the comments!
Thanks for visiting Punpedia 🙂