Welcome to the Punpedia entry on potato puns! Whether you’re looking for a cute caption, a business name or trying to come up with some silly pickup lines, this entry should have you covered.
All potato-related topics are covered from potato chip puns to sweet potato puns to “peeling” puns and other topics surrounding the preparation of potatoes (baking, boiling, frying, etc.).
Potato Puns List
Each item in this list describes a pun, or a set of puns which can be made by applying a rule. If you know of any puns about potatoes that we’re missing, please let us know in the comments at the end of this page!
- Sudden → Spudden: As in “All of a spudden” and “Spuddenly, out of the blue …”
- Stud → Spud: As in “He’s a real spud.”
- Teeter → Tater: As in “She tatered after her dog in her high-heeled shoes.” and “He tatered on the brink of destruction.”
- Traitor → Tater: As in “He was a tater to his own class.”
- Hater → Tater: As in “Taters gonna hate.” or “Taters gonna tate.”
- Tighter → Tater: As in “Grandma’s hugs are tater than a boa constrictor.”
- *tator* → *tater*: If a word ends with “tator” it can be turned into a silly potato pun: spectater, commentater, dictater, facilitater, imitater, agitater, annotater, resuscitater, rehabilitater, precipitater, decapitater, devistater, dictatership.
- *tated → *tatered: If a word ends in “tated” you can change it to “tatered” for a silly tater pun: statered (stated), hesi-tater-ed, dictatered, devastatered, irritatered, agitatered, precipi-tater-ed, facilitatered, orientatered, necessitatered, reinstatered, mutatered, rotatered, incapacitatered, disorientatered, overstatered, imitatered, amputatered, rehabilitatered, understatered, regurgitatered, premeditatered, meditatered, decapitatered, commentatered, gravitatered.
- Leg room → Legume: As in “I always pay a little extra for the aeroplane seats with more legume.”
- Tube of → Tuber: As in “Can I please purchase a tuber hand cream?”
- Too bad → Tuberd: As in “You want some? Tuberd, it’s all mine.” and “Tuberd the shoes don’t fit you.”
- To burn → Tubern: As in “You need tuber-n your boats.” and “I’ve got so much energy tuber-n.” and “You’re going tuber-n your bridges.”
- To be → Tuber: As in “Tuber or not tuber, that is the question.”
- To buy → Tuber: As in “I want tuber a new pair of shoes.”
- *uber*: Words that contain the “uber” sound (or similar) can sometimes be potato puns: extuberant (exuberant), tuberis (hubris), protuberances, tuberty (puberty), tuberculosis.
- I am → I yam: As in “I yam who I yam.” and “I think, therefore I yam.” and “I yam what I eat.”
- Yankee → Yamkee: As in “The New York Yamkees are up 3 points!”
- *yam*: If a word contains the “yam” sound (or even vaguely similar) we can create silly yam puns: accyamulation (accumulation), argyament (argument), consortiyam, docyamentaries, doyamentation, monyaments, Yamaha.
- Root: As in “I’m rooting for you!” and “Money is the root of all evil.” (The term “root” is also a synonym for sexual intercourse in some countries/regions)
- Rude → Root: As in “A root awakening.” and “He has no manners – very root.”
- Route → Root: As in “The road was closed but we found another root.”
- *root*: If a word contains the “root” sound (or similar) we can make a root vegetable pun: “Please be brootally honest with your feedback.” and “The score was 77-1, a brootal victory by the new team.” and “Her poker face was completely insc-root-able.” and “We’re trying to recroot 2 more programmers.” and “My daily rootine involves a large variety of tasks.” and “Under close scrootiny.” and “We’ve uprooted all the old curriculum and replaced it with modern material.” and “This has been a frootful discussion.”
- *r*t* → *root*: If you’re looking for some really terrible root puns you can replace any part of any word that even vagely sounds like root: authorootarian, arootstocrat (aristocrat), administrootor, calibrooted, celebrooted, carbohydrootes, concentroot, charooties, commemorootive, conspirootors, cooperootives, culproots, decorootive, demonstroot, culproots, elaboroot, disintegroot, electoroot, droot (drought), erootic (erotic / erratic), frootened (frightened), frustrooted, handwrooten, hypocrootical, illustroots, inferiorooty, integrooted, interproot, insecurooty, integrooty, interprootation, irrootation, irregularooties, laborootory, maturooty, minorooty, misinterprootation, narrootive, narrootor, obscurooty, orchestrooted, penetrooted, popularooty, prootentious, prootagonist, prosperooty, prootestors, regularooty, rootribution, rootaliatory, rootreat, rootrieval, rootrospective, rootorically, securooties, songwrooter, similarooties, terrootorial, throoteningly, strootforward, trootment, undemocrootic, vulgarooty.
- Start → Starch: As in “I got off to a bad starch.” and “I’ll give you a head starch.” and “Throw it away and starch from scratch.” and “Drivers, starch your engines!” and “Make a fresh starch” and “Can you help me jump starch my car?”
- Stark → Starch: As in “It stood in starch contrast to all of her previous films.” and “The starch, grey building loomed in the mist.”
- Star → Starch: As in “Starch Trek” and “Bless my lucky starch.”
- Thanks bud → Thank spud: As in “Oh, you got this for me? Thank spud :)”
- Humorous → Tuberous: As in “That was a very tuberous potato pun you just made.”
- Chip: As in “A chip off the old block.” and “A chip on his shoulder” and “Why don’t we all chip in.” and “As cheap as chips.” and “Let the chips fall where they may.” and “(When) the chips are down.” and “All that and a bag of chips.” and “A bargaining chip.” and “To cash in one’s chips“
- Cold → Crisp: As in “The air is crisp this morning!”
- Crisp: As in “Burnt to a crisp“
- Fry: As in “Small fry” and “I’ve got bigger fish to fry.”
- Try → Fry: As in “Fry and stop me!” and “Don’t fry this at home” and “Nice fry.” and “You’ve seen the rest, now fry the best.” and “Don’t fry walk before you can crawl.” and “I fried my hand at …” and “You’re frying my patience.” and “Fry as I might” and “Fry and fry again.”
- Fried: As in “I can’t think right now. My brain is fried.”
- Potato: As in “We were playing hot potato.” and “Meh, small potatoes.” and “Couch potato“
- Boil: As in “Keep the pot boiling.” and “It all boils down to this: …”
- Cheap → Chip: As in “Come now, that was a chip shot.” and “He’s a bit of a chip skate.” and “It’s dirt chip.” and “Talk is chip.” and “We’re doing it on the chip.”
- Chap → Chip: As in “A young chip came asking for a job but I had to turn him away.”
- Ship → Chip: As in “Abandon chip!” and “To go down with the chip” and “Mother chip” and “Shape up or chip out” and “That chip has sailed” and “Loose lips sink chips“
- Has → Hash: The term “hash brown” refers to a variety of foods which involve shredded potato. Thus, we can make some silly potato puns: “That ship hash sailed.” and “The die hash been cast.” and “Word hash it that …” and “What hash come over you?” and “My ship hash come in.” and “Every dog hash his day.” and “It hash come and gone.” and “She hash thick skin.” and “Once the dust hash settled.” and “One hash to draw the line somewhere.” and “It hash your name on it.” and “The time hash come.”
- Hashtag: As in “#hashtag yolo”
- Wedge: As in “I don’t want this argument to drive a wedge between us.” and “I wedged it in there pretty tight.” and “She gave me a massive wedgie.” and “The thin end of a wedge.”
- Mash: As in “Mashing all the buttons on the controller was my only chance at winning.” and “Don’t just mash the brake pedal!”
- Match → Mash: As in “They are a mash made in heaven.” and “Game, set, mash” and “Mix and mash” and “We’re a perfect mash.” and “Your potato puns are no mash for my own.” and “Okay, this has just become a shouting mash.” and “That was the day I met my mash.”
- Back → Bake: As in “At the bake of my mind” and “Bake from the dead” and “Bake to the Future” and “As soon as my bake is turned” and “We’re bake in business” and “Bake in the day …” and “Bake off!” and “Bake to school” and “Bake to nature” and “Cast your mind bake to …” and “Get bake on your feet” and “Go bake on a promise” and “Kick bake and enjoy” and “Money bake guarantee” and “I’ve never looked bake” and “It’s on the bake-burner” and “Take a bake seat” and “Right bake at ya” and “It was a bit of a stab in the bake.” and “You scratch my bake and I’ll scratch yours.” and “Two steps forward, one step bake” and “Some of these potato puns seems little half-baked.”
- Feel → Peel: As in “You can peel it in your bones.” and “I like the look and peel of the product.” and “I’m trying to get the peel for it.” and “These potato puns are making me peel unwell.” and “I peel a bit put out.” and “I’m peeling my age.” and “Peel the burn”
- Peel: This word is sometimes used in ways which don’t refer to removing an outer covering: “The aeroplane peeled off from the rest of the formation and did a trick.” In general “peel off/out” means to move away quickly (especially with screeching tires, if it refers to a car).
- Appeal → Appeel / A peel: “He’s so appeeling!” and “The court allowed one final a peel.” and “You need to a peel to their sense of honour.” and “I’m trying to appeel to your better judgement” and “They have 48 hours to appeel the decision.”
- Pillar → Peeler: As in “You are a peeler of strength in our community.”
- Lot of (lot’a) → Lakta: As in “That’s a lakta potato puns!”
There are many more puns to be made than could be documented in this Punpedia entry, and so we’ve compiled a list of potato-related concepts for you to use when creating your own puns. If you come up with a new pun, please share it in the comments!
potato, spud, white potato, tuber, tuberous, solanum tuberosum, root vegetable, root, tater, murphy, starch, sweet potato, Irish potato, chips, chip, potato chip, mashed, mash, French fries, bake, baked, boiled, boil, roast, yam, crisp, jacket, batata, vichyssoise, shepherd’s pie, cottage pie, swamp potato, hash brown, tatties, gnocci, wedges, peel, skin, peeler, eye, russet, latka
Here are the names of come common potato varieties:
yukon gold, purple peruvian, idaho russet, katahdin, red bliss, adirondack blue, adirondack red, fingerling, carola, inca gold, rose gold, purple viking, russet burbank, kerr’s pink, opperdoezer ronde, kennebec, king edward, laura, doré, melody, parel, duke of york, atlantic, bellitá, bintje, bison, carisma, coliban, desiree, dutch cream, eureka, exton, golden delight, harmony, kennebec, kestrel, king edward, kipfler, lady christl, maranca, mondial, mozart, nadine, nicola, otway red, patrone, pink fir apple, pontiac, purple congo, red rascal, royal blue, savanna, sebago, sifra, toolangi selight, virginia rose, white lady, white star
Did this Punpedia entry help you?
Did you find the potato-related pun that you were looking for? If so, great! Otherwise, please let us know what you were looking for in the comments, below! Are you looking for puns for text messages, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, or some other social media platform? Would you like to see more funny potato pun images? Or perhaps you just want more potato puns for your photo captions? Whatever the case, please let us know, and help us improve this Punpedia entry. If you’re got any potato puns (image or text) that aren’t included in this article, please submit them in the comments and one of our curators will add it as soon as possible. Thanks for visiting Punpedia 🙂